Here are some cool camera mounts I made for my ContourHD. Some modeling images, assembly photos and discussion follow. Enjoy!
Here is the same camera mount on a Z Board electric skateboard. (On a side note, this electric skateboard was a TON of fun to ride around on. Many thanks to Jeff and Ben for showing us their factory, explaining the technology and most importantly, letting us experience their Z Boards!
So how did I construct this? What will you need:
- Access to a 3D printer (www.you3dit.com)
- Our 3D printed CAD files (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49238)
- ContourHD Camera and extra Helmet Mount (www.contour.com)
- M4x10 Button Head Cap Screw or similar (www.mcmaster.com)
- A 3D printed ContourHD Helmet Camera adapter for tripods (coming soon to thingiverse.com)
- A skateboard
Here’s the assembly and rework process:
- First I cannibalized the ContourHD Helmet Mount and gutted the industrial-grade Velcro.
- Then I 3D printed an adapter piece to convert this helmet mount into a standard 1/4-20 tripod thread (using a threaded insert). This adapter piece should be tapped with M4 metric threads for both holes.
- Press fit your 1/4-20 flanged threaded insert into the 3D printed adapter.
- After, I had to drill out the Helmet mount to align with the holes in the adapter piece.
- After this was made, the ContourHD could be put atop any tripod.
To construct the Skateboard Clamp, you will need (In addition to the above materials):
- A 1/4-20 Socket Head Cap Screw with 3/16 Allen wrench
- A 3D printed skateboard clamp
Here’s the assembly process:
- Download and print the Skateboard Clamp for ContourHD from Thingiverse
- Put the 1/4-20 screw through the clearance hole, attach to your ContourHD modified helmet mount adapter and wallah, you’re ready to record!
Here are some videos shot with this mount! Thanks to all the employees at Z Board and Michelle for being brave enough to ride with me and my contraptions!
Again this project was inspired by my friend @MichelleMacFox who is a reporter for Fox News and they recently just posted their story! Great work Michelle!
So this worked alright and we only had one failure, there are several modifications to this which would make this skate clamp for ContourHD so much better:
- It would be awesome to have a thumbscrew to adjust the camera angle. Currently you have to use the 3/16 allen wrench.
- The one failure we had was from the circular adapter that attaches the helmet mount to the tripod / skateboard clamp. This was due to shock from high speed travel over some railroad tracks. This could be improved if a better adhesion to the helmet mount could be created. There just isn’t much space to rework this part and I didn’t want to remake the proprietary grove feature that Contour products use to connect to other mounts.
- It would be awesome if we could adjust the strength of the clamping to the skateboard. While it worked great with the Z Board (because we weren’t doing tricks and vibrations don’t translate to the board as much with the Z-Board), there still were some issues with camera misalignment along the Yaw axis. I have several ideas of how this could be achieved.